Monday, July 28, 2014

Did a little clearing today

Two years ago, a lumber company paid us some money to take some of our trees on the acres of land that we had not already cleared.  They cleared out a 2 acre plot that was adjacent to the 2 acres that we currently have fenced in where all of the animals live.  Now when you look at that land, you almost can't tell it was ever cleared.  Jason came up with a plan to clear a 10 foot path around the perimeter of that plot and fence it in using the auger to dig the fence post holes.  Then we can put the goats in there and they can go to town on all of the brush.  

So today was my first attempt at clearing the fence line.  I started out clearing the area outside of the fence so I could make a path to be able to GET to the area that needs to be cleared to make the new fence.  My goal for today was to clear along that fence and then start the new fence line clearing tomorrow.  I actually got that done and cleared out an area for the gate to go in the back corner of the fence.  The goats helped me the entire time.  Well, they mostly helped.  There were a few times when they wouldn't let me get to the brush I needed to clear.  But it was all good.  They made me feel safer because they would go ahead of me, so they would hopefully scare any snakes away before I got to them.  


I cleared a ton of blackberries today - lots of thorns and stuff.  I really, really hope they were blackberries at least, and not poison ivy...  I honestly can't tell the difference.  Guess we will find out in a couple of days.  Lord have mercy on my soul, I mean skin...


Here's the pics from today's clearing.



Here's basically where we started clearing on the outside of the fence.

Stevie and MooMan chompin down

I tell ya, that MooMan loves to smile :)

Making some progress

MooMan

Selfie with MooMan - he's eating my hat as usual

More progress

Stevie


We made it to the back corner!  Dolly Llama wanted to hang out with her goat friends...  Behind the goats is the area that was cleared last year.  Crazy, huh?!  

Here's the view from the back corner

Dolly Llama

I threw some brush over the fence for Dolly to eat


My sweet Stevie :)

Stevie trying to eat my glove

Check out those teeth!

A view from the starting point.
I went back out there for an hour this afternoon to clear some more.  Here's the pics.

This broody heifer wanted me out of her nesting box.  She looked kind of like a turkey I thought because she was so fluffed up.

MooMan tried to eat my glove

Boys will be boys.  Doing a little head-buttin

Acting all sweet

Here's what I got cleared in the afternoon.  It went pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment